Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Say Hello To My Little Friend


This is Bronte. She's only five or six weeks old, tiny as can be, and is now the newest member of the Wright household. 



But how did this come to pass?

Well, I had been oh-so-subtlety hinting to David for the last couple of months that it would be lovely if we could find a kitten, or a puppy, or both (!) to adopt.  He bought into the kitten idea with a few small caveats, like it needed to be a female, the litter box would have to be in the spare bathroom, the rug already in the bathroom needed to be moved, and I would need to make chocolate cakes and cookies for him the rest of my life.

Seemed reasonable.

I put the word out to our friends that we were interested in becoming pet parents. Days and weeks went by with no puppies or kittens making an appearance. Then yesterday, as I was sitting at my computer, I saw an email come in from our friend Colleen, simply titled "kittens" in the subject line. Just as I was opening the picture she sent (the above is the cropped version), David came in, handed me the phone, and said that Colleen was on the line. He took one look at my monitor, shook his head, and disappeared.

Colleen let me know that friends of theirs, Julie and Lindsey, had stopped by with two kittens that needed a home. Apparently, someone had thrown the mother cat and her four babies out of a truck. Only two of the kittens survived. Would I be interested in adopting one or both?

Well, hell to the yes! I told Colleen that I would go find David and would call her back. After giving David the details of the kittens' misfortune, using the most soulful expression I could muster, I asked if we could go over and look at them. With a bit of a sigh, he agreed.

As soon as I set my eyes on this little fur ball, I was smitten. And while her brother was equally adorable, I just knew that if I started bonding with him, I would want to adopt him too. Figured there was no reason to press my luck with my better half.

Fortunately, other friends of ours, Dave and Dianna, agreed to adopt Bronte's brother, who they have named Nelson. You can read about that on their Winjama blog.

In the meantime, we brought Bronte home after stopping for some kitty litter and food. Since then she has started exploring her new home, eating like a little piggy, and getting into all kinds of mischief. But after a couple hours of eating and playing, this is what happens:

 

Out like a light.

1 comment:

  1. Cute, very cute. Unlike Dave, I cannot see any "attitude" in her pictures, so far.

    ReplyDelete